Friday, June 22, 2012

Mark 2:13-17

      I don't know about you, but I've never really cared much for people that "have it all figured out."

      As a matter of fact, I try to avoid those people at every opportunity.  Maybe because I have a hard time believing that life is THAT tidy.  My experience has been the opposite- that life is actually pretty messy and people are broken.

       I've been on my 3 week assignment at Younglife's Frontier Ranch this past month, and I've seen through thousands of hurting kids how messy life really can be.  And I saw over and over again that it's the messy people that Jesus seems most drawn to.

      There is something about a God who is most drawn to the messy and broken, the hurting and unsure, that I really like.  There is something about a God who would rather be at a party with the tattered than at a religious function with the "flawless" that gives a lift to my heart and soul.  And there is something about a God who is continually questioning and challenging the "perfect" while pursuing and caring tenderly for the imperfect that makes me smile more than just a little.

    I guess it is because in all of the mess and brokenness, it gives me hope.  For myself. And for millions of teenagers across the world.